Davis Humanities Institute Graduate Student Researcher Spring 2021
Position for Spring 2021 for a graduate student researcher at 49% time for the UC Davis Humanities Institute. This is primarily a communications position with light programs support as needed. Duties to include, but not limited to: writing, newsletter production, publicity, website, and occasional assistance with DHI programs and events.
Must possess excellent humanities writing and communication skills. Must be familiar with a wide range of humanities issues and be able to communicate and work with a diverse group of humanities professors, administrators, and community representatives. Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and to work independently. Must possess workable knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Knowledge of and experience with Adobe Photoshop and Site Farm a plus. Must be willing and able to learn additional computer programs as needed.
This is a work-study position. Work-study units are required to be eligible for this position. Position only open to UC Davis graduate students.
To provide assistance to the UC Davis Humanities Institute programs, in areas of web communication, public outreach, programs, and events.
For more information on the DHI, see our website: http://dhi.ucdavis.edu
o To apply, please send a letter of interest, CV and the names and contact information for two references, and short writing sample (max 5 pages) to DHI Associate Director Katharine Wallerstein at email@example.com, by December 15.
Job duties include:
- Newsletter: with second GSR, publish weekly DHI newsletter. Every two weeks write a feature article on an event or issue relevant to the DHI community. Occasionally conduct interviews for the purposes of writing the article. On a weekly basis, find information on grants and opportunities, as well as events, articles, and news of interest, and publish in newsletter.
- Social Media: with second GSR, maintain a social media (twitter, facebook) presence and post events.
- Website: keep grants, opportunities, events, and other informational pages updated on the website. As needed assist with building new website sections (such as COVID-19, or a graduate student portal).
- Publicity support: work with Events Coordinator on outreach for DHI events: add events to local and university calendars; help develop and manage new outreach plans; maintain outreach databases. Assist with making posters, flyers, and graphics for DHI events.
- Staff meetings: attend weekly staff meetings.
- Program administration support: occasionally assist Associate Director with calls for proposals, database management, collation of scores from reviewers, acceptance/rejection letters, and other tasks as needed.